Youth Mobility Scheme visa (Tier 5)

Youth Mobility Scheme visa (Tier 5)

You can apply for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa if you:
• want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
• are aged 18 to 30
• have £1,890 in savings
• have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries
• meet the other eligibility requirements

Youth Mobility Scheme visa (Tier 5) – How long it will take?

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you travel.

ExampleYou can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 September.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
They must also give you other information you need when you apply, for example how much you’ll be paid.

You’ll be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months.
You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and leave and come back at any time during your stay.
If you turn 31 while you’re in the UK, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid.

You can:
• study – for some courses you’ll need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate
• work in most jobs
• be self-employed and set up a company – as long as your premises are rented, your equipment is not worth more than £5,000 and you do not have any employees

You cannot:
• work as a professional sportsperson (for example as a coach), doctor or dentist in training – unless you can show you qualified in the UK
• extend your stay
• get public funds
• bring in family members on your application – they must apply separately

You can apply for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa if you’re aged 18 to 30 and you’re from:
• Australia
• Canada
• Japan
• Monaco
• New Zealand
• Hong Kong
• Republic of Korea
• Taiwan
You can also apply if you’re 18 to 30 and a:
• British overseas citizen
• British overseas territories citizen
• British national (overseas)
You cannot apply if you have:
• children who live with you
• children you’re financially responsible for
• already been in the UK under the scheme or in the former ‘working holidaymaker’ category

You must have £1,890 in savings.

When you apply you’ll need to provide:
• a current passport or other valid travel ID
• a bank statement showing you have at least £1,890 in savings
• your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
You need a blank page in your passport for your visa.
You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.
You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.
You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

Request a Call Back From our Immigration Experts