You must be outside the UK to apply and need long-term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK.
One of the following must also apply to the relative:
• they’re a British citizen
• they’ve settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
• they have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
If your family member has settled status you may also be eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme or for a family permit.
• you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age
• the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in
• the person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years
• you’re 18 or over
Your stay will be:
• unlimited if you applied to join a family member who’s British or settled in the UK – you will not need to apply to extend or settle
• as long as your family member’s stay if they have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK – you’ll need to apply to extend or settle when they do